Pre-license Education

Our 75-hour course fulfills North Carolina’s education requirement for a provisional broker’s license.

How to Get Your North Carolina License

  1. Complete our Broker Pre-License Course
    View Pre-License Courses
  2. Submit an application to the North Carolina Real Estate Commission (NCREC)
    NCREC reviews your application to determine if you are eligible to take the license exam. One of the required “application enclosures” is a criminal record report, which includes results from each place that you’ve lived during the past seven years.
  3. Pass the North Carolina Real Estate Exam
    Upon receiving your Notice of Exam Eligibility from NCREC, you have 180 days to take the exam at a PSI testing facility or online. It takes 3.5 hours and consists of 120 questions. To pass, you need to correctly answer at least 57 of the 80 national questions and 29 of the 40 North Carolina questions.
    We provide free and paid exam prep resources
  4. Choose a Sponsoring Firm or Broker-in-Charge
    To be licensed on active status, you must be employed or associated with an active North Carolina real estate brokerage firm or sole proprietor.
    Consider the following when making your choice:
    • What kind of brokers are they looking for?
    • What is their reputation, both locally and nationally?
    • Do they use the latest technology?
    • Do they provide employee benefits, including education and training?
    • What is their commission structure?
    • Do they provide leads and marketing support?
    • Is there room to grow there?
      Coldwell Banker Howard Perry and Walston is a great choice to start your career in North Carolina real estate.
  5. Complete the Mandatory Post-License Courses
    Once licensed in North Carolina, you are considered a “provisional” broker until you complete three mandatory 30-hour courses. You have 18 months from the day you were licensed to complete them or your license will be deactivated.
    View Post-License Courses

Licensed Out of State?

If you are licensed in another state, completed a pre-licensing course in another state, or have unlicensed education and experience equivalent to our pre-licensing course, contact the North Carolina Real Estate Commission to discuss your licensing options.